The World Economic Forum at Davos had an incredible moment of truth… After Shimon Peres was allowed to justify the wanton killing that the Jewish State engaged in over the territory they have strangled with their inhumane blockade, (and received applause for it by the men and women waiting for their champaign glasses to be filled after the dinner that of course was more important to them than hearing the words of the Prime Minister of the largest European State with a Muslim majority and one of the most strategic areas on the face of the earth), Tayyip Erdogan begins to respond to the barrage of filth poured out by Peres.

At the moment, our Turkish translators in www.tlaxcala.es are getting a verbatim translation of the intervention, which we will post up here as soon as it is available, but in the meantime,

Here is a translation found here: http://video.aol.com/video-detail/turkish-prime-minister-erdogan-leaves-the-debate-in-davos-translation/3833761515/?icid=VIDURVNWS06

Moderator: There was a heated debate here. This is a discussion that can

last for hours. We are already out of time.
Erdogan: One minute.
Moderator: Mr. President, well, you know
Erdodan: One minute, one minute! No! One minute.
Moderator: Ok, but I want you not to speak more than one minute.
Erdogan: Mr. Peres, you are older than me. Your voice is very loud. I know that you are speaking aloud because of the requirement of a sense of guilt. My voice will not be that loud. About murdering, you know killing very well. I am well aware how you murdered children on beaches. Two former prime ministers of your country had important sayings to me. You have former prime ministers who say When I entered Palestine over armed combat cars, I consider myself more and more pleased. I can give their names, maybe some of you wonder. Besides, I condemn those of you who applaud this persecution. Because applauding these killers who murdered those children, who massacred those people is, I believe, also another crime committed against humanity. Look, we cannot disregard a reality here. Here, I jotted down a lot of notes, but I dont have time to answer all of them. But, I will say you only two things:
Moderator: Excuse me Prime Minister, we can’t start the debate again.
Erdogan: Excuse me. First, excuse me, do NOT interrupt me! First, The Old Testament says in the 6th commandment: You shall not kill! But there is murder here. Second, this is also very interesting. Gilad Atzmon, a Jew himself, says: Israeli barbarity is far beyond even ordinary cruelty. Besides, Avi Shlaim, Professor of Oxford who performed his military duty in Israeli army, says in the Guardian the following:
Moderator: Prime Minister, Prime Minister. I wanna ask to our host.
Erdogan: Israel became a gangster state. (to the moderator) I thank you, too. For me, Davos is done for me from now on. I will not come again. You all know this in this way. You are not letting us speak. (Showing Peres) He spoke for 25 minutes, but you let e speak 12 minutes. No way!

********************

Well, we at PTT think several things must be said:
1) More leaders should have the courage to speak out about the atrocities and to isolate Israel from sitting on a stage and endorsing their violence, which has no justification. That Erdogan did this, (and used also as his source writing by one of our editors, Gilad Atzmon), can only encourage us in our belief that sooner or later even people responsible for the guiding of a country numbering almost 63 million people, will stand up to Israel and say enough is enough. We are waiting for other Leaders to follow, the ice has been broken.

2) To state the obvious is no longer verboten. Things have to be called with their names, a State that is a menace to humanity and violent beyond all decency MUST be denounced in the loudest terms possible. We can’t walk on eggshells anymore. For a leader to express the thoughts of his people (finally) rather than to kowtow to some impossible situation of sitting on the fence (and Turkey in many ways is a nation that has a lot to answer for in past and recent atrocities, as well as its position of support for the invasion of Iraq) moves a step in the right direction. It is NOT in the interests of Turkey to acquiesce all horrors and violence just to stay in the club. It is sometimes BEST to walk off when you realise the platform is there to present a justification for what cannot be justified. We believe that this brave action, widely appreciated by millions, is the first of a series. Of the entire Davos Forum, this was the moment cited in the news.. It is food for thought.

3) NO normalisation with Israel until they accept the rules of International Law. Thank you PM Erdogan, for listening to us, for using our words, and for using that international platform for expressing the views that we know millions of humanitarian people hold. You are enabling all of us.
Palestine Think Tank

Erdogan gets hero’s welcome upon his return to Turkey

(excerpt)

By Paul de Bendern

ISTANBUL (Reuters) – Turkish Prime Minister Tayyip Erdogan received a hero’s welcome on his return to Istanbul on Friday after accusing Israel of “knowing very well how to kill” during a heated debate at the World Economic Forum.

Erdogan stormed out of a debate on Israel’s Gaza offensive on Thursday, and vowed he might never return to the annual gathering of the rich and powerful in Davos.

President Shimon Peres had launched a fiery defense of his country’s offensive in Gaza over the past month, and with a raised voice and pointed finger, questioned what Erdogan would do if rockets were fired at Istanbul every night.

“When it comes to killing, you know very well how to kill,” Erdogan, visibly angry, responded as he sat next to Peres at the debate, which also included United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki-Moon and Arab League chief Amr Moussa.

Turkey, a predominantly Muslim but secular country that historically has had good ties with Israel and the Arab world, played a role in helping broker an end to the Gaza offensive this month, particularly by lobbying the Islamist Hamas group to declare a ceasefire.

Thousands of people gathered at Istanbul’s Ataturk airport to greet Erdogan when he returned, waving Turkish and Palestinian flags and chanting “Turkey is proud of you.”

“Our people would have expected the same reaction from any Turkish prime minister,” he told a news conference at Ataturk airport on Friday morning after speaking to the crowd.

“This was a matter of the esteem and prestige of my country. Hence, my reaction had to be clear. I could not have allowed anyone to poison the prestige and in particular the honor of my country,” he said.

“Our reproaches are not against the Israeli people or Jews. Our reproach is totally against the Israeli administration,” Erdogan said.

Advertisements
Comments
  1. Sameh M Brill says:

And Finally, Turkey Realizes that It’s pioneer Leadership in the region won’t be restored by following the pro-Israeli Propaganda by the European Countries, It’s about Time.
    Thank You Turk PM.

2. mary says:

Good for Mr Erdogan. I saw how the splenetic Peres was allowed to dominate the proceedings. However what is the Turkish PM going to do about this contract or is there some hypocrisy behind his protest. How many of the deaths in Gaza are attributed to the use of these unmanned aerial vehicles, a euphemism for airborne kiling machines?

‘Terrorist state’ or not, Israel expected to sell drones to Turkey

By Zvi Bar’el

Tags: Turkey, UAVs, Israel News

Turkey is expected to receive its first shipment of attack drones from Israel next month, despite the comments by its prime minister during the Gaza offensive that Israel was a terrorist state. Turkey is also expected to receive another shipment of Heron drones from Israel.

According to Turkish sources and reports in the Turkish media, the predominantly Muslim country under Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan is expected to buy drones known as the Harpy. This armed UAV, developed by Elbit and Israel Aerospace Industries, participated in the Gaza offensive and killed Hamas militants.

Turkish Defense Minister Vecdi Gonul was reportedly impressed with the Harpy’s performance on his visit to Israel in October. Another factor in Turkey’s decision to buy from Israel may be the delay in a final decision by the United States on whether to sell Turkey Predator drones.

Turkish sources say Turkey would rather buy the Predator because of its rich combat experience in Iraq and Afghanistan. One Turkish source said the reports about the deal with Israel were leaked to try to persuade the Americans to cut through the red tape and approve the sale.

Turkey and Israel signed a deal for the supply of Heron drones to the tune of $180 million in 2005, but delays and malfunctions in the cameras mounted on the drones pushed back delivery by more than one year.

In December, Turkey received two Heron UAVs, and another three units are expected to be shipped in February. Despite Erdogan’s harsh statements about Israel during the Gaza operation, Israeli sources say the two countries still cooperate on security matters.

“The two countries are connected by their defense needs,” one Israeli source said. “The Turkish defense establishment is behaving as though there were no diplomatic crisis, and the diplomats are behaving as though there were no military cooperation.”

3. Ash says:

Meanwhile our esteemed Gilad gives related interview. Of late he has increasingly been calling for the dismantling of Israel. Although I doubt this is politically feasible – at least this decade – it is the right call and more should be making it. :

Erdogan’s statements above, although not specifically demanding this, nevertheless challenge the perceived ‘legitimacy’ of the way in which Israel’s genocidal policies are usually presented and discussed using post-Holocaust victim lingo (a shameless bamboozle/propaganda trick of course) and rarely if ever challenged. Erdogan challenged it in public.

More of this needs to go on.

Suggestion for PTT: Have a section publishing companies and NGO’s that are suitable for boycotting by ordinary people so we know what to look for in the supermarkets, financial sector, media and elsewhere. The list alone would be very revealing. I think that sort of information, regularly and publicly disseminated could have a very significant effect far beyond excellent op-ed pieces such as we find here because such things translate ideas into actual behavior (purchasing choices). Not only that but reading and seeing the lists (hopefully with some background info) is direct, immediate education as to how much is riding on the issue in practical/monetary terms, not just ideological.

4. Wael says:

The Earth is speaking Turkish ~ this man is very brave.

5. Wael says:

Ash, I further recommend to establish and support anti-imperial/anti-power economy rather than just boycotting.

This mad world must get changed

6. Mary Rizzo says:

Good suggestion, Ash. If anyone can compile a comprehensive listing of all of that, (I know they exist, but I can’t organise it right now) please send it to me and I can try to set that up.

By the way, I believe YouTube has contaminated the original video I had up here. It blocks the entire site when inserted, so, I had to take it out. You can see it here:
    Tlaxcala is working on our subtitling of the entire event, almost done, and I’ll link to that too.

7. […] Link: palestinethinktank.com/2009/01/30/ptt-pride-erdogan-at-world-economic-forum-cite s-our-editor-gilad-… […]

8. I think Mr. Ban Ki Moon spoke worse than Peres. When he demands Hamas to stop the “rocket” attacks and kindly asks Israel to have more self-restraint,, he is justifying Israel’s attack on Gaza.
    I am personally against the home-made shells Hamas and other resistance groups firing from Gaza, but I demand Israel to end its military occupation in the West Bank and the Gaza Strip as well. I do not think there will be any need for these home-made shells.
    Erdogan, of course is looking for a leading role in the Middle East, and I think he made a step forward into that.
    but he is to be saluted for making this public move.

9. […] following is from THIS report found at the Palestinian Think Tank […]

10. Oskar says:

Way to go, Gilad!

11. Ron says:

I’m very happy to see Turkey finally break their silence on this issue. They’ve been led to believe they can be partners with the Israeli terrorist, fascist regime and they’re now seeing how unrealistic it is. You have to casually accept child murder, bombing of women and men, indiscriminately, in order to be Israel’s pal. Just like Obama has done. One thing they’re all wrong about is Obama. He’s a sellout. His main appointments are all _fierce_ Zionists who make the neo-cons seem tame in comparison. David Axelrod is a fierce Israel-first Zionist. He is the man who ran Obama’s campaign for President and who is his chief handler. Obama’s campaign was overwhelmingly financed by the most powerful Zionist bankers in the world. His campaign’s largest contribution source was the Zionist international banking firm of Goldman Sachs. (FEC campaign records).

His next appointment was of a rabid Zionist, Israeli dual citizen who served in the Israeli Army as his Chief of Staff, Rahm Emmanuel.

As thousands of women and children in Gaza were killed or maimed, Obama remained silent. Within a few days as President Obama supported indiscriminate American missile strikes in villages of our ally Pakistan, a clear continuation of Bush’s policies. He completely supports the theft of trillions of American taxpayer dollars to the Zionist international bankers. Eighty percent of American Jews voted for Obama, and all the main leaders of the Jewish Supremacist state of Israel have proclaimed Obama as the perfect man for U.S. President.

12. kevin says:

This man is a hypocrite. When the Kurds attacked Turkey they immediately bombed the Kurds. So what he is saying is do as I say not as I do.

13. Cenk says:

@kevin

Hey Kevin you are a liar and you lie in a shameless way. When Kurds were to be destroyed by Saddam Hussein in Iraq then who opened its borders to save those women children and even young boys? Who fed them and gave them a shelter? The Kurds that attack Turkey is not Kurds that you wish us to mix in our head and have it your way. Those Kurds that attack Turkey are called “PKK” which is a truly terrorist organization and kills the Turkish women and babies just as the same way Israel does to Palestinians. But I understand and know your shameless way which I saw in many occasions so it is not so very hard to tell that you are an Armenian or a Kurd. Turkey bombs the “PKK” who are already in the mountains (these mountains declared as non-human areas) their only purpose to maintain in the mountains is to attack the Turkish villages nearby and kill the innocent Turkish babies. Tukish soldiers would and will never touch a baby of the enemy or the wife of the enemy. It is not possible for you to understand the reasons but you go on and make a fool out of yourself. Who knows Turks knows them and won’t get mixed with your fraudelent comments you fool.

Turkish and Proud (This would make your hate double I hope you lifeless looser)

14. bozhidar bob balkas says:

it cld have been foreseen that ban ki moon wld be a mouth piece for US/europe/isr or else he wld have never gotten the post.

palestinians have not posed any military threat to isr or a threat to its existence at least since ’73. so, killing so many civilians was obviously not a defensive action.
    there are factors for the latest carnage in gaza: hatred, cultish beliefs, anger, stupidity, lunacy, tribalism, politics, etc.

the fact that IOF ceased the warfare (raid wld be better label) before even killing no more than 300 gazan fighters, shows that IOF raid was mostly about killing their women, old men, and children and not at all to crush hamas.

just like in lebanon so in gaza IOF had to withdraw without achieving stated goal. of course, israel cld have utterly destroyed hamas but the leadership did not want to sustain many of own maimed and killed.
    that wld have been bad for young men’s moral to wage further incursions.
    and isr needs more cannon fodder.
    thnx

15. kevin says:

@Cenk so then you agree that the Turds did respond to attacks by bombing and that is acceptable as long as you are attacking non-humans. You are a hateful and violent person you are a modern day Nazi.

16. Cenk says:

@kevin

Why would you say that I am a modern day Nazi? What is your base for your sentence? I say if an organized terrorist group (A group of people who esspecially organize the group for killing innocent people) attacks then they should be destroyed with no hesitation. But why would you argue that when you already know some few hundreds of people stay in the mountains nearby Turkey just to attack Turkish children and elderly, are you saying they shall kill the Turks? Are you justifying that? Are you saying that killing a terrorist (no matter which nationality he/she is from) who stays somewhere not even donkeys would stay only to kill innocent children are these terrorists having the same action with the innocent palestinian children? So to make it clear you think that Turkish children to be killed by Kurdish terrorist group PKK is ok? And if the Turkish people decide to self defence it is a genocide and that Turkish people are modern day Nazis? Yes very interesting view of you but I may have misunderstood, I just tried to understand your base of talking. You can explain and in your explanation if you can prove that Turkish armed forces are killing Kurds anywhere in the world (Anywhere, any city, any place that can be called settlement) I will condemn my country first even before you. Can you also condemn the Kurdish terrorists who has been killing Turkish children and even new born babies? Can you conde34mn their action of sneaking nearby villages from Iraq to inside Turkey and killing innocent teachers?

Now I know what you will do you will start telling lies and with no base and no facts and then you will sit down and pray for some uneducated people to believe you.

You are so hatred and empty you just wish to find any Turk to call him/her a Nazi… Turkish history is full of opposite examples and if you were mentioning the So called Armenian genocide I am sorry but it is only fiction… The photos that Armenians showing to world are from Xotzali genocide which Armenians did to Azeri Turks and those dead people are infact Turks…. They are so shameless that they can openly show the people which they killed as a result of ethnic cleansing of Karabag (Azeri Land) They show the Turkish babies dead corpses and claim that they are Armenian 30% of Azeri Turkish land is occupied by those liars. The So called Armenian Genocide is the greates lie of the century, furthermore the only lie with no facts and only fiction. BTW I also condemn Arab countries such as Egypt and Lebanon who recognizes this lie as if it was true and I do need to aknowledge that most of these Arab countries has no real leadership they are friends to anyone help or seem to help them. I do not recall in history at anytime including the Cyprus issue that they were supporting Turkish people. But this still does not keep me from an humanitarian issue of palestine. In Palestine more then 1000 women and babies were killed in less then 1 week. How can a human know this and his heart don’t hurt.

You use even this forum for your propagandist purposes. Why won’t you tell us you opinion about the real subject but you will just use your valuable time and write 2 lines to poison the Turkish Arabic relationship.

Really, read more and come back.

17. Cenk says:

@ONE HOLOCAUST DOWN …. ONE TO GO « Desertpeace

This site that has its link into PTT is an anti Turkish propagandist site. I can’t understand why would you put their link under an event you should only write “thank you”…. This can only be called stabbing in the back.

18. Mary Rizzo says:

@Cenk
    Desert peace is not an anti Turk propaganda site. It is a pro-Palestinian site, and a very good one at that.

But, it often seems that a lot of people who support their own causes, when they find something about it or them on another site, they assume there is a propaganda attempt. Not that you’d have the time or interest to check, but on the post about the Saharawi, there are over 180 comments, and about 10 of them are calling me a propagandist who takes money from Algeria! I know it’s not true, but that doesn’t stop them from saying it.

19. Cenk says:

@Mary Rizzo

Well. I did not call you personally a propagandist but what you say about that site mentioned is clearly far from the truth because if what you say was true then they would have no problem with my comments on their articles. They do not allow any comments on their site which they see as defending of Turkish opinions. I am not saying articles but not even comments. They will allow any anti Turkish comments and articles but they can not accept even a slightest sign of a defence from the Turkish party. I clearly know these sites are not for the causes of Turkish interest but rather they should be to Palestine interest and that is the main purpose I comment on these sites to give support but I also feel obliged to defend attacks on my peoples views. Maybe I must learn what I did not know, maybe most of Arab interest including the Palestines passes from calling Turks responsible for an holocaust which is so called Armenian genocide that have never happened. That article on that site clearly makes anti Turkish propaganda while masking itself with “supporting the Palestine cause” When I or any other opposite viewers comment they clearly deny any comments or thoughts which defends Turkish side. People who blame you for Algerian connection is a different issue while if you read the article I mention or even the heading of the article you can easily understand that article accuses Turkey for a holocaust and that articles is connnected to where? To the PTT site where another article mentions a good response of the Turkish PM. So smart of that site. We call this in my country “hitting 2 birds with 1 stone”.

Thanks for your taking time and responding and not deleting my comments.

20. […] succeeding in liberating Palestine, but then again, not being ignored either. I think about how the President of Turkey quoted (among two others) Gilad Atzmon, on the stage of the World Economic Forum. What was the most important was that it was said to the […]